Wednesday, January 16, 2019

God proposes; Man disposes


In the west, most theists have been raised to think the other way around, that God is the order supplier for our sense enjoyment on this earth. Or when we worship Him there is always this stubborn hope for our own welfare. In other words, we do it to mitigate the miseries of life instead of simply out of love for the Lord.

It's true though; one of the reasons Krishna created the material world was so we could use it to fulfill our own desires. He says in Bhagavad gita:

"Earth, water, fire, air, ether, mind, intelligence and false ego—all together these eight constitute My separated material energies. Besides these, O mighty-armed Arjuna, there is another, superior energy of Mine, which comprises the living entities who are exploiting the resources of this material, inferior nature."

But since that is not our actual spiritual position, to lord over material nature, an illusion must be created.

 Krishna explains, "The spirit soul bewildered by the influence of false ego thinks himself the doer of activities that are in actuality carried out by the three modes of material nature."

So, by the power of maya, one can think that "I am the owner of this body; it is meant for my pleasure; God gave it to me to carry out my desires for material enjoyment; I am in control. And I can control material nature to do what I want. It may not be happening the way I want right now, but in the future..."

But we can't even control our own toothache, nor go a day without using the bathroom. Many people think they'll die if they went a day without food. Furthermore,do we have to wind up our hearts each morning to keep them beating? Must we attend to digesting the food stuffs in the belly every time we eat? We don't pay attention to our breathing. That's because everything is going on by a higher power.

We may try to do something, even the most simplest thing, but so many disturbances may arise that thwart our attempt. Is it even possible to get through an entire day without something going on beyond one's control? These things should add to the realization that "I am not in charge"
.
Therefore as life goes on, we should realize more and more "I am not the lord of all i survey. This world does not belong to me for my own purposes." Instead, "Thy will be done, Lord, not mine"