Friday, March 21, 2014

the most beautiful

Some time back, I went upstairs to Govinda's restaurant in preparation for a comparative religion class visiting the Denver temple. I went to make sure things were cleaned up for them to  be hosted there.  While there, I noticed some beautiful large photographs of the local mountains gracing the walls on one side of the restaurant. Near each one was a business card stating the photographer's name and so on. I had no idea until then how Bhakta Pat, a long time devotee who almost always makes it to the early morning program, was the photographer and such a good one.

Later that day, I told Pat about my discovery. An interesting conversation ensued, relating his love for nature. He had hiked to various places for several days to get the photos, "looking out for beauty".

I told him that was the first thing that popped in my head when I saw his photos, "This guy has an eye for beauty."

Then he said he had two favorite subjects- the outdoors and- he asked if I could guess the second...

"People" came to mind. I told him how I see much beauty in the personal form.

He said that was it, and when it came to learning about the Supreme Person behind material nature- Krsna-  nature no longer had the same grip it once did in capturing his heart.

I had to agree with everything he said. I described my experiences as a youth going to the top of a mountain and discovering this spectacular meadow of wildflowers, nestled between two peaks.  So many experiences I had that were similar, but when I came to know the Supreme Person, the Supreme Artist behind it all, material nature no longer had the same fascination as before.
 
                                           
Of course,  material energy is still very beautiful, but Krishna is the most beautiful and His gorgeous nature simply serves as a reminder of Him.

 I told Pat I didn't want to say that at first, to bust his bubble, his love for nature, so to speak, so I was happy to discover we both had the same realization.

Which should have been obvious when I remember that besides Krishna’s divine material energy, Pat continues to take some of the most beautiful photos of the ISKCON Denver deities, Radha and Govinda.